Proposal 91: Banning oil & gas exploration in Florida’s state waters
- The Florida Constitutional Revision Commission (CRC) meets every twenty years to consider new amendments to the Florida Constitution. Amendments that the CRC approves are placed on the ballot for a vote of the people. The CRC is currently conducting their final round of public meetings before they vote on the proposals to determine what goes on the ballot.
- P 91 proposes to constitutionally ban oil and gas exploration in Florida’s territorial waters (up to three miles offshore in the Atlantic and nine miles offshore in the Gulf, after that it’s federal waters).
- Drilling in our state waters is already prohibited by state statue, but the Florida Legislature can easily change that. In fact, in 2009 the Florida Legislature nearly opened our state waters to oil drilling. The only thing that stopped them was the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
- Offshore oil and gas development in new areas would require seismic surveys, drilling operations, oil transport by tankers, and the installation of platforms, pipelines, and other infrastructure. Collectively these activities would significantly damage the environment, marine wildlife, and coastal economies and ways of life.
- Protect our coasts, our economy, our jobs, and our quality of life! Support P 91 and ban drilling off Florida’s coast!
You can support P 91 by speaking at one of the upcoming public hearings:
Feb. 27th: Pensacola, 1PM-7PM
University of West Florida
Conference Center & Ballroom
11000 University Parkway, Building 22
Pensacola, FL 32514
March 5th: Cape Coral, 1PM-7PM
5951 Silver King Boulevard
Cape Coral, FL 33914
March 13th: St. Petersburg, 1PM-7PM
University of South Florida- St. Petersburg
University Student Center
200 6th Ave. S
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
For more information visit: https://www.flcrc.gov/Meetings/PublicHearings
You can also contact the CRC by emailing email@example.com or calling 850-717-9550. You can also submit written comments and contact individual commissioners at flcrc.gov